Schools in Sindh province are going to be opened on August 30 with 50 percent attendance, SOPs made mandatory to be followed.
On Friday, Sindh Chief Minister Murad Ali Shah announced that schools across the province will remain closed for another week till Monday, August 30.
CM Shah said that all teachers and parents also need to show their vaccination certificates. “All the staff should be vaccinated before the reopening of schools,” he added.
On August 17, while announcing the decision after a meeting of the steering committee, Sindh Education Minister Sardar Shah said: “The decision has been taken to open schools from August 23 to continue the education journey of children.”
For the first time, representatives of the parents association were also invited to the meeting.
Read more: World Bank grants $130 million for primary education in Sindh
He further announced that schools would be opened with 50 percent attendance and subject to strict compliance with Covid-19 standard operating procedures.
Sindh schools to remain closed for another week
The education minister said Covid-19 had caused a lot of loss to academia, with the number of students dropping from 4.5 million to 3.9 million.
Additionally, only schools that could assure 100 percent vaccination of their teachers by Monday would be allowed to open. Parents will also have to submit their vaccination certificates at schools, Shah said.
“Sudden [and] random PCR (polymerase chain reaction) tests will be conducted as well,” the education minister said.
The Sindh government had closed schools in Sindh on 24th July due to the rising number of Covid-19 cases although it had said that exams would take place according to schedule. However last week, the education minister said schools would remain closed till 19th August.
Shah said by adding that it would look at other issues as well such as the syllabus. It has representation from the education, health, home departments and other related institutions.