NCC has decided not to execute full lockdown all over the country and PM urged the public to follow covid-19 SOPs to avoid complete lockdown.
On Friday, Prime Minister Imran Khan addressed the nation after chairing an important meeting of the National Coordination Committee (NCC) to give an update on the new coronavirus restrictions as the country is going through the third wave of the virus.
It was expected that a lockdown would be imposed in cities where the positivity ratio is above 10%. However, the premier announced that a lockdown would not be implemented for now as it will affect the working class and their businesses.
He emphasized on the need to wear a mask at all times. The premier further said that help will be taken from the Pakistan Army to implement corona SOPs. “Barely anyone is following SOPs anymore,” he said, adding that if we are not careful, the situation in Pakistan will be similar to that of India in the next one or two weeks.
Moreover, after a brief statement, the premier handed the announcement over to Federal Planning and Development Minister Asad Umar, who listed down some of the important decisions taken during the NCC meeting.
Important decisions taken in NCC meeting regarding the lockdown are:
- Schools in cities with positivity rates above 5% closed until Eid, including classes 9-12
- Markets to stay open till 6 pm. Only essential businesses can operate after 6 pm. A list of essential business will be issued.
- Outdoor and indoor dining banned until Eid. Takeaway and deliveries will be allowed.
- Indoor gyms to be closed.
- Offices capacity at 50% and are to be closed daily at 2 pm.
- Eid shopping will not be possible after iftar.
- 50% work from home policy to be implemented in offices.