International

Izmir earthquake: PM Imran Khan offers condolences to Turkish brethren

Izmir earthquake

Prime Minister Imran Khan, on Saturday, offered condolences to the Turk President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and the people of Turkey after Turkey received a massive 6.6 jolt earthquake that shook Izmir city on Friday that has so far claimed the lives of 25 people and left at least 831 injured.

Premier Imran Khan in his tweet said that Pakistan stands with Turkey in this difficult time, just like Turkey stood with us during the devastating earthquake of 2005:

Ministry of Foreign Affairs representative shared a condolence note through their official Twitter account and said Pakistan is “Extremely anguished by news of earthquake in Izmir.”

Furthermore, the MoFA also expressed that the people of Pakistan always stand firm with their Turkish blood brothers.

The MoFA spokesperson while tweeting expressed best wishes and prayers for the people of Turkey and tagged the Turkish Foreign Minister in the post.

Earlier, a powerful earthquake hit Turkey and Greece which caused buildings to collapse as well as a sea surge that flooded streets in the Turkish city Izmir.

Read more: Lebanon’s government steps down as public anger grows over Beirut blast

According to Greece media, the earthquake also caused a mini-tsunami on the eastern Aegean Sea island of Samos, resulting in damaged buildings.

According to the United States Geological Survey, the earthquake was recorded 14 kilometers off the Greek town of Karlovasi on Samos.

Furthermore, the Greece seismological agency measured the earthquake jolt at 6.7 magnitude, however, the Turkish official agency for detecting earthquake magnitude recorded a lower magnitude of 6.6.

Right after the dreadful incident, the President of Turkey Recep Tayyip Erdogan tweeted “Get well soon İzmir.”

“With all the means of our state, we stand by our citizens affected by the earthquake. We took action to start the necessary work in the region with all our relevant institutions and ministers,” Erdogan said.

According to the Turkish Health Minister Fahrettin Koca, a major search rescue operation is happening in Turkey which involves 38 ambulances, 2 ambulance helicopters and 35 National Medical Rescue teams.

To Top