The federal education minister Shafqat Mahmood has announced that no examinations will take place in the country until June 15, amid increasing cases of coronavirus.
On Tuesday, federal minister for education while addressing a press conference in Islamabad after a special National Command and Operation Centre (NCOC) meeting, said that no examinations will take place until 15th June. He added O and A level exams had been cancelled and would now take place in the October-November cycle.
However, A2 exams will keep running for those students who want to appear for the purpose of applying to foreign universities.
“It has been directed strictly that after Monday, more than 50 people will not be in one centre. For that we have requested that schools be made venues,” the minister said, adding that law enforcement personnel will be deployed to maintain discipline.
Shafqat Mahmood took to Twitter and posted that the decision had been taken to address the “health concerns of students and parents”.
“Addressing health concerns of students and parents All exams cancelled till June 15 and depending on the spread of the disease may even go further. Cambridge exams postponed till Oct/Nov for all grades. Only exception for those in A2 who have a compulsion to take exam now.”
He further wrote: “University admissions in Pakistan will be aligned for class 12 and A2 who will be taking exams in Oct/Nov. This is to ensure no one loses a year. For A2 who have some compulsion to take exams now, every attempt will be made to provide safe venues. Not more than 50 students.”
He also announced, “We will continue analyzing [the situation] and in mid-May or in the third week of May, we will analyses the disease and a decision will be made whether to further postpone exams or allow them to take place. This means that if exams are started after June 15, they could go into July and some part of August as well.”