First Congo Virus Case in Pakistan in 2023 Results in Patient’s Death

First Congo Virus Case in Pakistan in 2023 Results in Patient's Death

On Sunday, health officials confirmed that the first case of Congo virus in Pakistan this year has resulted in the patient’s death. Muhammad Adil, a 28-year-old resident of Liaquatabad, was the first patient reported with the life-threatening virus this year. Adil was admitted to a private hospital in Karachi, where he died during treatment. The Health Department confirmed that Adil worked in a meat shop in a supermarket located in Liaquatabad and was a meat slaughterer, processor, and seller by profession. 

After experiencing a fever and headache on April 30, Adil took paracetamol tablets at home. However, his fever escalated, and he was admitted to Habib Medical Hospital on May 2. After his condition continued to worsen, he was transferred to Ziauddin Hospital in North Nazimabad on May 4, where he received intensive care treatment. Despite the intensive care, Adil passed away on May 5. 

After taking samples from Adil, the hospital sent them to Aga Khan University Hospital (AKUH), where laboratory results confirmed that he had contracted the Congo virus. The virus is primarily transmitted to humans by ticks on cattle and other livestock, and it can cause severe fever, muscle pain, vomiting, and internal bleeding. Medical experts have warned that the virus is very dangerous and can cause bleeding at very early stages. 

Read More: Suspected Case Of Monkeypox Reported In Karachi, Pakistan

The provincial health department has urged citizens to take precautions to avoid contracting the virus, such as wearing protective clothing and using insect repellents when in contact with cattle or other livestock. While the symptoms of the Congo virus are similar to those of dengue fever, they can quickly become life-threatening. There is currently no vaccine or specific treatment for the virus. 

Most Popular

To Top