For many years, it was difficult to determine who owned the property. There was no way for consumers to check online property or land records because there was no digital system. People had to interact with Patwaris in the old system. The old system was inefficient and a major source of bribery in property and land problems.
The Pakistani government decided to create an online system for property and land records to combat corruption and improve the property ownership process easier. This method, however, is not accessible in all of Pakistan’s provinces.
Read more: 8 Things to Consider before Investing in Real Estate
Only the Punjab and Sindh governments have made the online property ownership verification available.
Punjab Land Record Authority (PLRA)
The Punjab Land Record Authority (PLRA) has created a land and property records management system. People who own property in Punjab can use the online Land Records Management Information System (LRMIS) to verify their records. The Punjab Land Record Authority is in charge of all land and property affairs in Punjab.
How to check property ownership
The official Punjab Zameen website has all of the property and land records. The following are the methods to verify property and land ownership in Punjab:
- Go to the Punjab Zameen website at https://www.punjab-zameen.gov.pk/.
- You can look for ownership information on the website’s homepage.
- To begin, choose a district from the drop-down menu. You must first choose the district in where the property or land is located.
- From the drop-down menu, choose Tehsil.
- Then, from the drop-down box, choose the Area where your property is located.
- You’ll be given three search possibilities in the next stage. You may look it up using your CNIC, name, or Khewat number (Property number).
- If you wish to search it by CNIC, you’ll need to write down your CNIC’s 14 digits.
- Then press the enter key.
In addition, the Punjab Land Record Authority (PLRA) has released a mobile app for this purpose. However, it is only available for Android users.
Benefits of LRMIS (Land Record Management Information System)
1. It takes less time to finish the transfer of property.
2. You can check the records from the comfort of your own home.
3. There is no need to pay any fees.
4. Biometric verification and integration with NADRA ensure that the property’s record is accurate.
5. You do not have to pay a patwari to check the property’s ownership.
6. There is no corruption.
Sindh Zameen Portal
The online system for property owners in Sindh was also launched by the Sindh Board of Revenue. Check the ownership of property or land at https://sindhzameen.gos.pk/PropertyRegister.aspx. The Sindh Board of Revenue is in charge of all property and land concerns in the province.
People’s lives have been made easier by this online system, which allows them to simply seek for ownership in the comfort of their own homes. The government of Pakistan has taken a significant step in digitizing land and property records, and we hope that the governments of KPK and Balochistan will follow suit.