The university of the Punjab established with the convening of the first meeting of its senate on Oct 14, 1882 at Simla. It was the fourth university to be established by the British colonial authorities in the Indian sub-continent. Until independence in 1947, the university of the Punjab fulfilled the educational needs of the vast region of the sub-continent. The strength of the university faculty was greatly reduced because of the migration of non-Muslim teachers and scholars at the time of independence. The university full functioning was restored, mainly due to the efforts of eminent educationists like Dr.Umar Hayat Malik who became the first Vice-Chancellor after the independence. New academic programs and departments were initiated soon after the independence.
Punjab university intends to be a public university in providing affordable educational opportunities to develop scientific, Scio-culture, economic and political leadership, through learner-centered teaching and research, while strengthening our identity at national and international level.
- Dr. Abrar Ahmad Zafar
- Dr. Faisal Bukhari
- Dr. Fawaz Saleem
- Dr. Muhammad Khurram Shahzad
- Dr. Shahzad Sarwar
- Dr. Syed Waqar Ul Qounain
- Dr. Zubair Nawaz
- Dr. Abdul Qayyum Ch.
- Dr. Ishtiaq Ahmad Gondal
- Dr. Abida Nasreen
- Dr. Tariq Mahmood
- Dr. Farsia Hussain
It has two campuses in Lahore, the Allama Iqbal Campus and the Quaid-e-Azam campus. There are also a campus in Gujranwala, Jehlum, Khanaspur and KPK.
- B.SC and M.SC( Agriculture, food and science, Archaeology, physical education, Gender studies, Social work, Applied psychology, Sociology, Criminology, Population sciences, Economics, Metallurgy and materials engineering, Applied Hydrology, Environmental sciences, IT).
- BS, MS& M.PHIL& P.HD( French, History, Philosophy, Physical education, English, Pakistan studies, Clinical psychology, Gender studies, Political science, International relations, Social work, Applied psychology, Sociology, Criminology and security, Management, IT)
- B.COM, BBA,M.BA, B.ED, M.ED, MA, LL.B.
- In taking admission in BS/B.SC the candidates having FA/FSC or equivalent qualification with at least 2nd division and not more than 24 years of age shall be eligible for admission to B.A/B.Sc/ BBIT/B.com/BBA/BFA/ LLB or equivalent programs in the university of Punjab.
- The candidates who wants to take admission in MA/MSC or equivalent are holding the B.A/ B.sc or equivalent qualification with at least 2nd division and not more than 26 years of age shall be eligible for admission in MA/MSC or equivalent .
- The merit can be calculated as:
- Entry Test: 30%
- Matric marks 30%
- Inter marks 40%
- For online application form the candidates can click on the official website link:
Punjab university library is the largest resource center of knowledge and information in Pakistan, which came into existence in 1882. The library remained in its old building up to 1988 and in the same year it was shifted to its present two store building. The library includes 5, 83, 777 books collection , in which 22000+ manuscripts 250 foreign and local journals.
In addition each teaching department/ institute/ constituent college/ center school has its own library where books and research journals of their respective specialized areas are provided. The HEC Islamabad, has provided the library with 14 e-journals database containing more than 25000+ titles of research journals.